Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Philadelphia, Part 2: Amish Country

One of the many horse and buggy's that we passed on the road.

Horse & Buggy traffic sign


Lots of wide open country and farms

Just a cool old house we passed by
Off to Market


We toured an Amish home and farm, but weren't allowed to take pictures inside. We also learned how to identify the Amish homes as we passed - there are no power lines going to the homes, and they have dark green shades on the windows. To our surprise, many of the homes on the main roads that we drove were occupied by Amish families. We had assumed that they lived farther back on side streets, clustered together with other Amish families. Apparently we were wrong!


2 comments:

Tricia said...

Wow! I sure do admire them, but I'm glad I'm not one of them. I sorta like all my luxuries :)

NIKOL said...

I'm fascinated by Aminsh and Mennonite culture. In some ways, I think that I'd love that way of life. As long as I have indoor plumbing, I think I could deal. In theory, anyway.