Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Bedtime routine and the not-so-routine

Putting two very talkative little girls to bed in the same room isn't always easy. They like to talk, giggle, play with toys, stall by going to the bathroom 100 times, or sneak into the living room. Some nights are easier than others. Last night we had a slight emergency (Emma) and slight hysterics (Kate).

About 5 minutes after we put them to bed, we could hear Emma whimpering and Kate calling us in the room. When I went in, Emma was coughing and sneezing (though it sounded fake to me). When I asked her what was wrong, she said she had a flower stuck up her nose. Again, I thought she was pretending to be allergic to flowers because of a kids show that we had just seen where one of the characters is allergic to wool. Turns out, she was serious. Eric had seen her playing with a teeny-tiny little flower shaped bead, and sure enough, it was stuck way up her nose. Eric tried to pull it out with some tweezers, but Emma kept sniffing it up. As soon as Kate saw the tweezers go in Emma's nose, she freaked out and started wailing hysterically. I don't know if she thought we were going to hurt Emma, or if she thought Emma was going to be hurt by the bead up her nose, or what. So Eric had to handle Emma and I had to handle Kate. Eventually, Eric got Emma to quit sniffing, and blow it out of her nose on her own. What a relief! Kate was still shook up and made us tell Emma over and over again not to put things up her nose. She gets so worried about Emma!

On a more heart-warming and less traumatic night, I overheard the girls talking at bedtime and was just about to go in and tell them to be quiet when I actually heard what they were saying...

Emma: What Katelyn? I can't hear you.
Kate: I love you, Emma.
Emma: I love you too, Kate.

Awwwww! My little sweeties!

3 comments:

NIKOL said...

I'm glad Emma was able to get the bead out without having a trip to the doctor. When I was 5 and stuck that button up my nose, getting it out was quite an ordeal.

I love the story about the girls talking before going to bed. So sweet!

Tricia said...

Oooohhhhh that is SO sweet. Not the bead up the nose, but the way they worry about each other and love each other. In my house, it probably would have been Sawyer shoving a bead up Bailey's nose :)! I'm glad it all worked out well in the end :)!

Joy Boaz said...

That is a classic Motherhood story if I've ever heard one! Every Mom has as least one story of something being stuck up the kids nose. It's the little moments of sweetness that keep us going, huh?

They are too cute!!!